Hangman’s Knot (Noose)
The hangman’s knot or hangman’s noose gains its name from its original use for the execution of prisoners. It is a type of noose knot that is thought to be invented in the UK from where it spread to the other parts of the world. Today, apart from its basic purpose, it is also used in fishing and boating. People like to make it for Halloween decorations as well. The loop formed by the strong knot is adjustable.
Disclaimer: Since this noose knot has other uses apart from hanging, as mentioned above, we have given its tutorial here. It should not be tried on any living being whatsoever. Children should be dissuaded from playing with it as besides being lethal itself it can tighten accidentally even when tied loosely.
How to Tie a Hangman’s Knot
- To attach a hook, swivel or lure to your fishing line.
- As a tie down for a boat, vehicle, tent, etc. since it is a self-tightening
- For artistic purposes.
- For making paracord knife lanyards and bracelets.
How to Make a Hangman’s Noose: Video
How to Tie a Hangman’s Knot Step by Step
- Pass the tag end behind the “8” shape made with the rope
- Wrap it around the upper loop and the standing part
- Wrap it 3 more times
- Wrap it 3 more times again
- Pass it through the small top loop
- Hold the lower loop and pull the tag to tighten
- The knot is completed